BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—Propelled by a strong offensive effort, the Birmingham-Southern women's lacrosse team defeated Hendrix, 21-10, in the quarterfinals of the Southern Athletic Association Championship, Friday evening on Battle Field at Krulak Stadium.
The third-seeded Panthers moved to 12-4, while the Warriors finish their season at 7-7. It was the second meeting between the teams this year, and the second time that BSC won.
The Panthers will now travel to Memphis, Tenn., to face fellow regular season co-champions No. 2 Rhodes Sunday at 1 p.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After finding themselves in a quick 1-0 deficit, the Panthers ripped off a pair of multi-goal runs to take a commanding lead heading into the half.
- BSC scored four goals in an almost seven minute stretch ending at the 20:00 mark to claim a 4-1 lead.
- Following the Hendrix scores to tie the match, BSC found the back of the net seven straight times for an 11-4 lead.
- During the momentum shifting 7-0 run a trio of Panthers scored a pair of goals: freshman Katie Gleeson, senior Amanda Amerson, and sophomore Ashley Shepherd.
- In the same stretch Gleeson also tallied two assists.
- In the final 3:06 of the first half each squad took turns scoring back-to-back goals to bring the score to 13-6 at the half.
- In the first 14:07 of the second half each team scored three times to make the match 16-9 with almost 15 minutes remaining.
- BSC put the match away with 5-0 run with 7:10 left in the match.
- A late Hendrix goal with just over two minutes left brought the score to the final of 21-10.
- Sophomore netminder Chloe Massoni picked up 11 saves.
- Shepherd collected a match-high six goals, while Gleeson had a match-high three helpers.
- Defensively, senior Shana O'Brien tied for a match-high six ground balls.
- BSC travels to Memphis, Tenn., for the semifinals of the Southern Athletic Association Championship this Sunday, April 24, to face Rhodes at 1 p.m. CST.