MEMPHIS, Tenn.—The Birmingham-Southern women's lacrosse team saw its season come to an end Sunday afternoon, falling to second-seeded Rhodes, 16-10, in the quarterfinals of the Southern Athletic Association Championship.
The Panthers fell to 12-5, while the Lynx moved to 12-4 and will face top-seeded Centre next Sunday, May 1, in Danville, Ky., for the championship.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC got off to a quick start, pulling out to a 5-1 lead within the first six minutes of play, and led 7-5 at the 5:59 mark of the first half.
- The Lynx mounted their comeback after that, scoring three straight to end the half with an 8-7 lead, and then opening the second half with four more to pull ahead 12-7 with 22:03 left in the game.
- The Panthers scored twice before Rhodes added four more, pulling up 16-9 with 7:42 left.
- BSC would score once more before the end of the game to cut it to 16-10.
- Sophomore Ashley Shepherd led BSC with three goals and one assist, followed by senior Amanda Amerson with two goals and an assist, and sophomore Natalie Daniel with two goals.
- Amerson and freshman Katie Gleeson led with four ground balls each, and Gleeson led with a game-high 11 draw controls.
- Sophomore goalie Chloe Massoni played all 60 minutes and recorded eight saves.
- BSC had its best season in program history, tying for the most wins and then winning a share of the regular SAA title for the first time.