MARYVILLE, Tenn.—The Birmingham-Southern women's soccer team suffered its first loss of the season on Saturday, losing to Piedmont, 2-0, in Maryville, Tenn.
The Panthers fell to 1-1, while the Lions moved to 2-0. It was the third meeting between the two teams, with Piedmont taking a 2-1 series lead.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Piedmont got on the board early, as Tori Gillett scored in the sixth minute of the first half.
- Cassidy Reich put the Lions up 2-0 in the 66th minute off an assist from Megan Hatfield.
CHANCES FOR BSC
- The Panthers out-shot the Lions 16-8 overall.
- BSC took four shots-on-goal in the first half after Piedmont pulled up 1-0, with keeper Michaela Gardner stopping all four.
- The Panthers had two more chances in the second half before the Lions scored their second goal, and two more after.
- Seniors Avery Newcomb and Jessie Sperry, and freshman Mary Caroline Newman, all led with three shots each.
- Senior Sammy Manzo and freshman Taylor Andrews led with two shots-on-goal apiece.
- Junior goalkeeper Ansley Tomlin recorded two saves.
- BSC takes on Maryville tomorrow at 10:30 a.m. ET.