JACKSON, Miss.—Courtesy of three second-half goals, the Birmingham-Southern women's soccer team opened Southern Athletic Association play Saturday afternoon with a 3-0 victory over Millsaps.
BSC moved to 6-3 overall and 1-0 in the SAA, while the Majors fell to 2-6-1 overall and 0-1 in league play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first half was scoreless, with the Panthers out-shooting Millsaps 11-2, including five shots on goal saved by goalkeeper Olivia Gattuso.
- BSC's first goal came in the 53rd minute when the Majors accidentally scored on their own net for an own goal.
- In the 61st minute, freshman Julia Giggie scored her first goal of her collegiate career, assisted by junior Nicole Newton, to put the Panthers up 2-0.
- Newton wrapped up the scoring in the 82nd minute when she scored her fourth goal of the year, courtesy of an assist by senior Avery Newcomb.
- BSC out-shot Millsaps 16-5 overall, 10-4 on-goal, led by Newton with five shots.
- Senior goalkeeper Katie Williams recorded four saves in 90 minutes of play.
- The Panthers return home next Saturday, Oct. 3, hosting Rhodes at 1 p.m. on Preston Goldfarb Field at Berylson Park.