BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—After battling through over 77 minutes of scoreless play, No. 15 Centre scored in the 78th minute to defeat the Birmingham-Southern women's soccer team, 1-0, Friday evening on Preston Goldfarb Field at Berylson Soccer Park.
The Panthers fell to 7-6 overall and 2-3 in the Southern Athletic Association, while the Colonels moved to 11-1-1 overall and 3-0-1 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Play was even through the first half, with Centre out-shooting BSC 8-6, but both teams had two shots-on-goal.
- The Colonels controlled the ball more in the second half, out-shooting the Panthers 10-1.
- Destinie Graves scored in the 78th minute to break the scoreless tie and put Centre up 1-0, and the Colonels held onto the lead for the remaining 12 minutes.
- Junior Nicole Newton led BSC with two shots.
- Senior goalkeeper Katie Williams recorded four saves.
- With the exception of Centre's 2-0 loss to No. 14 Denison, it was the first time that the Colonels had been held to less than two goals in a game.