CONWAY, Ark.—After falling behind 1-0 less than four minutes into the game, the Birmingham-Southern women's soccer team rebounded with two goals to defeat Hendrix 2-1 Saturday afternoon on Warrior Field in the regular season finale.
The Panthers moved to 8-7 overall and 3-4 in the Southern Athletic Association, while the Warriors fell to 9-7-1 overall and 2-5 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After Hendrix scored in the fourth minute of the game, the Panthers tied it up in the 13th minute with a goal by senior Avery Newcomb, her third of the season, courtesy of an assist from senior Sammy Manzo.
- The 1-1 tie stood for less than eight minutes as junior Nicole Newton scored her fifth goal of the year in the 21st minute off an assist from sophomore Kayla Auger.
- The rest of the game was scoreless, although both teams had several chances.
- Junior Ansley Tomlin started in goal for BSC and recorded two saves in the first half.
- Senior Katie Williams came in for the second half and made three saves.
- The Panthers out-shot the Warriors 16-11, 9-6 on-goal, led by Manzo with seven shots.
- BSC begins post-season play next Saturday, Oct. 31, in the quarterfinals of the SAA Championship, hosted by the top four seeds.
- The Panthers will play as the fifth seed, facing fourth-seeded Berry in Rome, Ga.