Aug 31, 2015
BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The Birmingham-Southern volleyball team opens the 2015 season on Tuesday, Sept. 1, traveling to Atlanta to face No. 2 Emory at 7 p.m. ET.
- BSC was 24-11 in 2014, advancing to the finals of the Southern Athletic Association Championship; the Panthers went 10-4 against SAA opponents
- Emory, ranked second in the nation by the American Volleyball Coaches Association, went 39-4 last year, establishing a program record for most wins. The Eagles advanced to the post-season for the 19th straight time, falling in the title match of the University Athletic Association Championship to Hope College.
- Jeff White begins his second season at the helm of the Panthers.
- Jenny McDowell begins her 20th year as the Emory head coach; she owns a career record of 613-143 with one national championship (2008).
- Emory is 7-4 all-time against BSC dating back to 1999, winning the last five matches including a 3-0 victory last season in Birmingham.
McCORMACK, BEDFORD RETURN TO LEAD PANTHERS
- The Panthers return their top setter (senior Katie McCormack) and libero (senior Lauren Bedford) to the 2015 roster. McCormack, a 2014 AVCA All-Region and First-Team All-Conference selection, recorded 9.39 assists per set last season, passing the 1,000-assist mark of her career, while also picking up 2.46 digs per set. Bedford, a 2014 Honorable Mention All-SAA winner, led the squad with 4.91 digs per set.
- The game will feature live stats (http://www.emoryathletics.com/information/LiveStats) and live video (http://www.emoryathletics.com/information/webcasts).