MARYVILLE, Tenn.—With two 3-0 wins today, the Birmingham-Southern volleyball team won the 2015 Maryville Invitational. The Panthers defeated Lynchburg and the host Scots after defeating Washington and Lee University yesterday.
BSC now stands at 3-1 on the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. LYNCHBURG
- BSC never trailed until the third set, winning sets one and two by the scores of 25-15, 25-18.
- In the third set, the Hornets's largest lead was 15-12, after which the Panthers scored four straight to pull back ahead, eventually winning 25-21.
STAT LEADERS VS. LYNCHBURG
- Freshman Jeneva Salter led for the third straight match with a team-high 10 kills, hitting .273.
- Senior setter Katie McCormack posted a match-high 30 assists.
- Freshman Marjorie Ward led with 11 digs, followed by senior Lauren Bedford with 10.
- Junior Caroline Hyde posted three blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. MARYVILLE
- The Panthers again had little trouble in sets one and two, winning 25-12, 25-10.
- The Scots came out fighting in the third set, scoring eight straight points after BSC's 1-0 lead to pull ahead 8-1.
- With Maryville leading 12-5, BSC put together a 10-2 run to pull ahead 15-14.
- The Scots made it to match point, 24-20, but BSC rallied with six straight points to win, 26-24.
STAT LEADERS VS. MARYVILLE
- Salter led again with a match-high 13 kills, followed closely by junior Laura Van Peursem with 11 kills and a .600 attack percentage.
- McCormack dished out a match-high 34 assists.
- Ward recorded a match-high 10 digs.
- Hyde led at the net again with three blocks.
- BSC travels to Atlanta next weekend for the Emory Invitational, where the Panthers will face Susquehanna and Johns Hopkins on Friday, and Piedmont and Lakeland on Saturday.