ATLANTA, Ga.—With wins over Piedmont College and Lakeland College, the Birmingham-Southern volleyball team went 4-0 this weekend at the Emory Invitational and moved to 7-1 on the season.
The Panthers have now won seven straight matches after dropping the season opener to No. 2 Emory, who is now ranked first in the nation.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. PIEDMONT
- BSC won 3-0 against the Lions, winning 25-23, 25-12, 25-17.
- The lead changed hands several times in the first set, and Piedmont pulled ahead 23-21 down the stretch, but BSC rattled off four straight points to get the come-from-behind win.
- BSC raced out to a 9-3 lead in the second set, and stayed ahead of the Lions the rest of the way. After Piedmont cut it to 10-8, the Panthers scored fight straight points to spark a 15-4 run to close the set.
- Set three was similar to the second, with BSC leading the whole way. The Lions managed to cut it to 9-8 at one point before the Panthers used a 9-0 run to pull up 18-8, eventually winning by eight.
STAT LEADERS VS. PIEDMONT
- Once again freshman Jeneva Salter led BSC with 17 kills, hitting .577 with only two errors.
- Senior setter Katie McCormack recorded 35 assists, and posted her second straight double-double with 10 digs as well.
- Senior libero Lauren Bedford picked up 19 digs, followed by freshman Amelia Collins with 13 and freshman Marjorie Ward with 10.
- Junior Caroline Hyde led at the net with four blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. LAKELAND
- BSC won by the scores of 25-15, 25-22, 19-25, 25-20.
- The Panthers had little trouble with the Muskies in the first set, pulling out to an 8-0 lead and never trailing before winning by 10.
- The second set was a different story, with Lakeland opening on a 6-1 run and leading until the 20-18 mark, after which BSC scored five straight to pull ahead 23-20. The teams traded points after that, with the Panthers winning on a Hyde kill.
- The third set was back-and-forth up until the 15-14 mark. With BSC leading by one, the Muskies went on a 6-0 run to pull ahead 20-15. The Panthers were able to cut it to 20-18, but Lakeland out-scored BSC 5-1 down the stretch to win the set.
- In the fourth set, after several lead changes, the Muskies pulled out to a 16-11 advantage. The Panthers responded with eight straight points to go up 19-16, and hung on to the lead for the remainder, winning by five.
STAT LEADERS VS. LAKELAND
- Salter posted a match-high 18 kills and hit .259.
- McCormack posted another double-double with 36 assists and 16 digs.
- Bedford led again with 19 digs, followed by sophomore Rylee Segrest with 18. Ward and Collins posted 13 digs each.
- Hyde led again with four blocks.
- Salter and McCormack were named to the Emory Invitational All-Tournament Team for their stellar play over the Panthers' four matches.
- BSC opens its home slate this Wednesday, Sept. 16, as well as Southern Athletic Association play, hosting Millsaps at 6 p.m. in Bill Battle Coliseum.