BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The Birmingham-Southern volleyball team won its 10th straight match Sunday morning, defeating Oglethorpe 3-0 in Bill Battle Coliseum.
The win moves the Panthers to 10-1 on the year and 3-0 in the Southern Athletic Association. The Stormy Petrels fell to 2-8 overall and 0-2 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC opened the first set by racing out to a 7-0 lead, and led 9-1 before OU scored six straight to cut it to 9-7.
- The teams traded points after that, with the Panthers steadily building their lead, out-scoring the Petrels 5-1 down the stretch to win 25-18.
- Oglethorpe came out strong in the second set, pulling out to a 7-4 lead before the Panthers took over and used a 21-3 run to win 25-10.
- The third set started close, with OU trailing 6-5 before BSC rattled off 19 straight points to win 25-5.
- Freshman outside hitter Jeneva Salter led BSC in kills, as she has for all 11 matches, recording 14 kills and hitting .524 with only three errors.
- Senior setter Katie McCormack also led the Panthers again, posting 26 assists.
- Freshman Marjorie Ward led with 12 digs.
- Junior Laura Van Peursem led at the net with seven blocks, including two solo blocks.
- The Panthers are on the road for their next three matches, traveling to Conway, Ark., for two matches on Saturday, facing Hendrix and Maryville, and then taking on Rhodes on Sunday in Memphis.