DANVILLE, Ky.—Hitting .257 as a team, the Birmingham-Southern volleyball team defeated Centre, 3-1, Sunday afternoon in Alumni Gymnasium in Danville, Ky.
The Panthers moved to 14-2 overall and 6-1 in the Southern Athletic Association with their fourth straight win. The Colonels fell to 9-9 overall and 4-3 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC won by the scores of 25-22, 25-23, 24-26, 25-22.
- The Panthers pulled out to an 11-3 lead in the first set before Centre came back with seven straight points to cut it to 11-10.
- The teams went back and forth after that, trading points with BSC keeping a slight edge until the end, ultimately winning by three on a kill from freshman Jeneva Salter.
- Set two was close the whole way, with neither team leading by more than three at any point.
- The third set was another close one, although Centre pulled out to a slight lead mid-way through and held on to win by two to force a fourth set.
- BSC came out strong in the fourth, going up 9-1 to start, but the Colonels chipped away and eventually took over the lead, 18-17, and then led 20-18 before the Panthers closed on a 7-2 run to win the set and the match.
- Salter led the Panthers, as she had in every match so far this season, recording 24 kills and hitting .404.
- Freshman Marjorie Ward was also impressive with 17 kills and 22 digs for her first double-double of the year.
- Senior setter Katie McCormack posted her fifth double-double of the season with 50 assists and 12 digs.
- Senior libero Lauren Bedford recorded 19 digs, and sophomore Rylee Segrest had 16 and freshman Melaina Hissam posted 10.
- Junior Laura Van Peursem led at the net with three blocks.
- The Panthers return home for their next few matches, beginning with a non-conference tilt against Covenant this Wednesday at 6 p.m. in Bill Battle Coliseum.