Oct 07, 2015
BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The Birmingham-Southern volleyball team won its fifth straight match Wednesday evening, defeating Covenant College 3-1 in Bill Battle Coliseum.
The Panthers moved to 15-2, while the Scots fell to 7-9.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC won by the scores of 25-20, 19-25, 25-22, 25-10.
- The Panthers pulled out to a 7-3 lead to open the first set and would never trail, with Covenant never able to cut the lead to less than two.
- BSC led 21-19 late in the first set before using a 4-1 run to end it, winning on a kill by freshman Jeneva Salter.
- The Scots came out strong in the second set, also pulling out to a 7-3 lead and keeping the advantage the rest of the way.
- In the third set, the Panthers led 10-4 and then 18-12 before Covenant used a 7-1 run to tie things up at 19-19.
- After the teams traded points to pull to 20-20, BSC rattled off four straight points to pull ahead 24-20. Covenant scored twice, cutting it to 24-22, before an attack error gave BSC the win.
- The score stayed close to start the fourth set, with the teams playing to a 7-7 tie before the Panthers used an impressive 12-3 run to close out the set and the match.
- Senior libero Lauren Bedford passed the 1,500-dig mark of her career with 23 digs in tonight's match, becoming only the third player in program history to do so. She now stands at third on the all-time digs list with 1,507, and with 21 more digs will move into second place.
- Salter led all players with 17 kills.
- Senior setter Katie McCormack recorded a match-high 45 assists.
- Freshman Marjorie Ward also added 20 digs.
- Junior Laura Van Peursem led at the net with five blocks.
- The Panthers are at home this weekend, hosting league-leading Hendrix on Saturday at 1 p.m. BSC will also face Rhodes and Agnes Scott College on Sunday at noon and 4 p.m.