BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The Birmingham-Southern volleyball team swept Rhodes and Agnes Scott at home Sunday afternoon in Bill Battle Coliseum.
BSC now stands at 17-3 overall and 7-2 in the Southern Athletic Association. Rhodes also defeated Agnes Scott 3-0, and moved to 9-12 overall and 2-7 in the SAA, while ASC fell to 6-10.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. RHODES
- The Panthers defeated Rhodes by the scores of 25-14, 25-8, 25-22.
- In the first set, BSC pulled out to a 6-2 lead and built up to an 18-13 lead before finishing out the set on a 7-1 run.
- The Panthers dominated play in the second set, going up 14-2 and then 21-6 before winning by 17.
- The Lynx kept things much more competitive in the third set, pulling ahead 5-3 early and then leading 15-11 before BSC used an 8-1 run to go up 19-16. The Panthers played to match point, 24-20, before Rhodes cut it to 24-22, but a Lynx attack error ended the set and the match.
- Freshman Jeneva Salter led all players with 14 kills, hitting .433 with only one error.
- Senior libero Lauren Bedford led with a match-high 22 digs.
- Senior setter Katie McCormack led all players with 32 assists.
- Freshman Melaina Hissam was also in double digits with 12 digs.
- Junior Caroline Hyde led with four blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS. AGNES SCOTT
- The Panthers won by the scores of 25-12, 25-10, 25-13.
- BSC had little trouble with the Scotties in the first two sets, building sizeable leads fairly early.
- ASC hung around for the first half of the third set, with the lead changing hands several times leading up to an 11-11 tie; after that, BSC finished the match with a 14-2 run.
- Junior Caroline Hyde and freshman Amelia Collins led with nine kills apiece.
- Several BSC players who have not had the opportunity to play much so far this season saw a lot of playing time, and it was the first match this season in which Salter has not led in kills.
- Senior setter Emily Dang posted 20 assists, followed by McCormack with 15.
- Hissam led with nine digs.
- Hyde and sophomore Chloe Ballard led with three blocks apiece.
- BSC travels to Jackson, Miss., to face Millsaps this Wednesday, Oct. 14, at 6 p.m.