JACKSON, Miss.—Led by freshman Marjorie Ward with 13 kills and 15 digs for her third double-double of the year, the Birmingham-Southern volleyball team defeated Millsaps, 3-0, Wednesday evening on the road.
The Panthers moved to 18-3 overall and 8-2 in the Southern Athletic Association; the Majors fell to 10-11 overall and 4-6 in league action.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC won by the scores of 25-20, 25-19, 25-21.
- The first set was a close one nearly the whole way, with neither team building a large lead until the end, when the Panthers won on a kill by freshman Jeneva Salter.
- In set two BSC opened on a 5-0 run and kept the lead until Millsaps tied it up 16-16; the Panthers responded after that point with a 7-1 run to pull ahead 23-17 and ultimately won on another Salter kill.
- With the except of four early ties, BSC led for the entire third set; the Majors were able to cut the lead to 23-21 late, but a Salter kill and a block by senior setter Katie McCormack and junior Caroline Hyde ended the set and the match.
- Ward led all players offensively with 13 kills and hit .324; it was the first time that a player besides Salter has led BSC in kills so far this season.
- Salter added 11 kills and hit .250.
- McCormack recorded 35 assists.
- Senior libero Lauren Bedford led on the back row with 26 digs; sophomore Rylee Segrest and freshman Melaina Hissam were also in double digit digs with 16 and 12, respectively.
- Junior Laura Van Peursem led at the net with five blocks, followed by McCormack with four.