BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The Birmingham-Southern volleyball team moved to 19-3 on the season Saturday with a 3-0 conference win against Sewanee.
The Panthers also moved to 9-2 in the Southern Athletic Association. The Tigers fell to 10-11 overall and 3-8 in the league.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC won by the scores of 25-10, 25-16, 25-16.
- The Panthers opened the first set on a 6-0 run and pulled out to a 13-1, easily staying in front of the Tigers before winning by 15.
- Set two was similar as BSC opened on an 11-1 run; the Panthers led 20-9 before Sewanee put together a 6-2 run to cut it to 22-15, but BSC out-scored the Tigers 3-1 to win the set.
- BSC opened set three by going up 5-0, and Sewanee responded with a 5-2 run to cut it to 7-5; the Tigers would cut it to 16-12 before the Panthers ended the match with a 9-4 run.
- Freshman Jeneva Salter led BSC with 15 kills and hit .394.
- Junior Laura Van Peursem added 10 kills and hit .310.
- Senior setter Katie McCormack led all players with 38 assists.
- Sophomore defensive specialist Rylee Segrest led BSC with 21 digs, followed by senior libero Lauren Bedford with 20, freshman outside hitter Marjorie Ward with 15, and freshman defensive specialist Melaina Hissam with 11.
- Junior middle blocker Caroline Hyde led with four blocks.