BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The Birmingham-Southern volleyball team wrapped up its home schedule with a 3-0 sweep of Centre on Sunday, moving to 20-3 on the year.
The Panthers also moved to 10-2 in the Southern Athletic Association and have won five straight matches. Centre fell to 11-12 overall and 6-6 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC won by the scores of 25-17, 25-12, 25-22.
- The first set started out with the teams trading points up to the 10-10 mark, after which used an 11-3 run to pull ahead 21-13 and then won 25-17 on a kill by senior Mollie Peavy.
- The second set was fairly close as well, with BSC leading 10-8 before putting together another big run to pull up 21-10 and then win 25-12 on a kill by freshman Jeneva Salter.
- Set three was much closer throughout the entire set, with the teams staying within a handful of points of each other nearly the whole way; with BSC sitting on match point at 24-21, the Colonels scored to cut it to two, but a Centre attack error ended the set and the match.
- BSC's seniors Lauren Bedford, Emily Dang, Katie McCormack, and Mollie Peavy were honored in a pregame ceremony.
- Salter led all players with 15 kills and hit .444; junior Laura Van Peursem added 11 kills and hit an impressive .556 with only one error.
- McCormack posted a game-high 39 assists.
- Bedford recorded a team-high 14 digs, followed by freshmen Melaina Hissam and Marjorie Ward with 13 apiece.
- Van Peursem also led with three blocks.
- BSC hit the 20-win mark today for the third straight season.
- BSC travels to face Oglethorpe next Saturday and Berry next Sunday, and will also take on Gulf Coast State in an exhibition on Sunday at Berry.