ATLANTA, Ga.—The Birmingham-Southern volleyball team swept Oglethorpe on the road today in Atlanta, Ga., winning 3-0.
The Panthers moved to 21-3 overall and 11-2 in the Southern Athletic Association; the Stormy Petrels fell to 5-22 overall and 0-13 in the SAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC won by the scores of 25-15, 25-15, 25-20.
- The first set was back-and-forth until the 9-9 mark, after which BSC used a 9-1 run to pull ahead 18-10; after the Petrels cut it to 19-14, the Panthers finished on a 6-1 run, winning on a kill by freshman Marjorie Ward.
- BSC slowly pulled ahead in the second set, steadily building up to the 10-point victory and winning on a kill by junior Laura Van Peursem.
- Set three was much closer throughout, with Oglethorpe leading 17-14 before BSC used a 6-1 run to pull back ahead 20-18, eventually winning by five on a kill by senior setter Katie McCormack.
- Freshman Jeneva Salter led the BSC offense with 11 kills.
- McCormack posted a match-high 36 assists.
- Ward led all players with 15 digs, followed by senior libero Lauren Bedford with 12.
- The Panthers will face Berry tomorrow at 2 p.m. ET, followed by an exhibition match against Gulf Coast State at 4 p.m. ET.