ROME, Ga.—In the regular season conference finale for both squads, Berry defeated the Birmingham-Southern volleyball team in five sets Sunday afternoon at the Cage Center in Rome, Ga.
The Panthers fell to 21-4 overall and 11-3 in the Southern Athletic Association, while the Vikings moved to 20-5 overall and also finished at 11-3 in the SAA.
BSC also took on Gulf Coast Community College in an exhibition match today, hosted by Berry, winning 3-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Berry won by the scores of 21-25, 25-14, 21-25, 25-21, 17-15.
- All five sets were very competitive, most of all the fifth and deciding set.
- The Vikings led 8-3 at the crossover of the final set, but BSC rallied and tied the score at 13-13; the teams battled after that, tying it up at 15-15 before Berry scored the final two points to clinch the victory.
- Freshman Jeneva Salter posted a match-high 19 kills.
- Senior libero Lauren Bedford recorded a match-high 21 digs.
- Senior setter Katie McCormack recorded 42 assists.
- Freshmen Marjorie Ward and Melaina Hissam also added 10 digs apiece.
- Junior Caroline Hyde led with three blocks.
BSC vs. GCCC
- In the exhibition match against Gulf Coast CC, BSC won by the scores of 25-11, 25-21, 25-23.
- Hyde, junior Laura Van Peursem, and freshman Amelia Collins all posted a team-high four kills.
- Senior Emily Dang led with eight assists.
- Ward and Hissam led with 13 and 12 digs, respectively.
- Hyde also led with four blocks.
- BSC travels to face non-conference foe Covenant College this Wednesday at 7 p.m. ET in Lookout Mountain, Ga.
- The Panthers begin post-season play Nov. 6 at the SAA Championship, hosted by regular season champion Hendrix in Conway, Ark. BSC earned the No. 2 seed and will face No. 7 Sewanee on Friday. Match times will be announced this week.