LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, Ga.—In its regular season finale, the Birmingham-Southern volleyball team defeated Covenant College, 3-1, Wednesday evening at the Barnes PE Center in Lookout Mountain, Ga.
The Panthers moved to 22-4, while the Scots fell to 16-10.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- BSC won by the scores of 25-19, 17-25, 25-21, 25-18.
- The first set was close the whole way, with the Panthers finishing on a 4-0 run to win by six.
- Covenant controlled the momentum of the second set from the beginning, leading almost the whole time and capping off the set with a 5-1 run to even the match at 1-1.
- Set three was another close one, with the teams battling back and forth before the Panthers won by four.
- After a close start in the fourth set, BSC clawed its way to a 22-12 lead; after the Scots used a 6-2 run to cut it to 24-18, a kill by freshman Marjorie Ward put away the set and the match for BSC.
- Ward had 10 kills and 17 digs for her fourth double-double of the season.
- Freshman Jeneva Salter led all players with 13 kills; Salter has led BSC in 24 of its 26 matches this season.
- Senior setter Katie McCormack recorded a match-high 39 assists.
- Senior libero Lauren Bedford led all players with 27 digs; freshman Melaina Hissam added 14, and sophomore Rylee Segrest had 10.
- Junior Caroline Hyde led at the net with a match-high eight blocks.
- The Panthers begin post-season play next Friday, Nov. 6, at 6 p.m. CT, facing Sewanee in the quarterfinal round of the Southern Athletic Association Championship, hosted by top-seeded Hendrix in Conway, Ark.
- BSC will play as the No. 2 seed, taking on seventh-seeded Sewanee.