BIRMINGHAM, Ala.—The Birmingham-Southern cross country teams will open the 2015 season on Friday at the Strut's Season Opener, hosted by Jacksonville State in Oxford, Ala.
The women's 4K race will begin at 6:15 p.m., followed by the men's 5K at 6:45 p.m. at the Oxford Lake Complex.
MEN'S TEAM RANKED
- The BSC men's team enters the season ranked eighth in the South/Southeast Region by the U.S. Track and Field/Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA).
- In 2014, the Panther men placed fourth at the Southern Athletic Association Championship; the women were fifth.
- At the NCAA South/Southeast Regional, the men were 10th and the women were 15th.
- Junior Chris Roberts placed sixth at the SAA Championship, earning Second-Team All-SAA honors, and then 10th at the Regional, earning All-Region honors. He became BSC's first-ever NCAA cross country qualifier.
- Junior Shannon Walsh also earned All-Region accolades after finishing 34th at the regional.
- "We are excited to be opening up our season this Friday," Head Coach Kenneth Cox said. "Our men and women's teams have been working hard this summer and have brought an unbelievable energy to campus and to their training."